The current holder of Six Pack License or Current Atlantis Student
Course currently being updated and will be available ( 2018)
Alumni AMA Students
Your Course Cost - $125.00
This course is for those who wish to upgrade their existing OUPV License (Six-pack) to a 25-ton, 50-ton, or 100-Ton Master Captain’s License. The Master’s License is required to operate an inspected vessel that carries seven or more paying passengers.
Each area of the course will provide students with detailed instruction on the required topics to safely operate a Subchapter T vessel in accordance with federal regulations. Online instruction will include end of topic (EOT) exercises and exams to ensure students are knowledgeable of the subject matter as opposed to just being able to pass the exam.
The online course will provide students with the knowledge to pass the USCG approved Atlantis Maritime Academy’s final examination. However, the main course objective is to provide students with the knowledge and skills to safely operate a “T” Boat within the scope of required federal regulations and maritime law.
25-ton, 50-ton, or 100-Ton Master Captain's License Course Topics
|4.1 Seamanship – Purchases, Blocks and Tackle||4.4b Firefighting drills and training|
|4.2 Vessel Handling in Rivers & Estuaries||4.4c Fixed fire-extinguishing systems|
|4.2a Dragging, Clearing Fouled Anchors||4.5 Safety Management|
|4.2d Maneuvering for Launching of Lifeboats and Life rafts||4.6 Emergency Towing|
|4.3a Principles of Ship Construction||4.7 Rules and Regulations for Inspected T-Boats|
|4.3b Trim and Stability||4.8 Ship Sanitation|
|4.3c USCG Load Line Regulations and Policies||4.9 Admiralty Law|
|4.4a Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting Appliances|
The 25/50/100 Ton Master License is required by the USCG for any inspected vessel certified to carry more than six paying passengers. Such vessels would include head boats, assistance towboats, large passenger capacity tour boats, etc.
There are three different Master Upgrade Licenses for which a mariner may qualify. Both the amount of sea service time and the sizes of the vessels you have been on will influence the license you are eligible to be issued.
Master Upgrades are tonnage-rated at 25 GT, 50 GT, or 100 GT. The tonnage you are awarded is determined by the size vessels you’ve gained experience on in your lifetime, as limited by the size of vessels with experience on in the last three years. Time served in obtaining your OUPV License may be applied to the requirements for the Master Upgrade requirements.
- For this License, a day of Sea Service is defined as at least 4 hours underway on any given calendar day and can be counted back to your 15th birthday. You do not need to know the exact dates – just the number of days each year
- Master Inland: 360 days underway experience since age 15. Ninety of those 360 days are required in the last three years. Completion of USCG-approved Master course…
- Master Inland/OUPV: 360 days underway experience since age 15. Ninety of those 360 days are required in the last three years, with 90 of those 360 days outside the boundary lines.
- Master Near Coastal: 720 days underway experience since age 15. Ninety of those 360 days are required in the last three years, with 360 of those 720 days outside the boundary lines.
Additional Requirements Include
- Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC Card).
- Minimum age: 19 years old.
- A Physical if more than three years has elapsed since the last exam.
- A Drug Test unless enrolled in a USCG-required random drug program for at least 60 of the last 185 days, and with no failure or refusal to participate in a chemical test for dangerous drugs.
- U.S. Citizenship.
- Completion of Atlantis Maritime Academy USCG-approved OUPV Upgrade to Master online course.
The USCG has approved our Master Upgrade curriculum and test as a substitute for taking the full Master Upgrade test at a USCG Regional Exam Center.
Upon successful completion Atlantis Maritime Academy’s online program and passing the proctored multiple choice test, the student receives an Atlantis Maritime Academy’s certificate of completion which the U.S. Coast Guard will accept in lieu of taking their exam.
Note: As you gain experience on larger vessels, tonnage ratings can be increased up to 100 tons without re-testing.
No testing at the Coast Guard Regional Exam Centers.
This course is USCG Approved. No Tests at the Coast Guard. You will take proctored final exams administered at one of our USCG approved test locations. ( Combined OUPV/Master students take both tests at the same time) No need to make travel plans twice! We have test locations in most communities.
The exams include a selection of the topics covered in the course. We work with everyone until they pass! 98% pass rate. Online participation and study will typically get you through the exams. All exams are administered in accordance with USCG guidelines and students are permitted to retake the exam modules when needed to up to three times during the allotted 4 hours at no additional cost.